Catalytic Development Projects
As outlined in section 3.1 of the Birmingham Land Bank Authority’s Policies and Procedures, Applications and requests for catalytic development opportunities identified in plans and projects adopted and supported by the City of Birmingham will receive special consideration by the Birmingham Land Bank Authority (BLBA).
If you are non-municipal entity or organization that desires to acquire a large number of properties for development, we recommend that you contact our Community Development Department and Economic Development Departments with your plans. Your plans must align with the goals of the neighborhood and the relevant City of Birmingham Departments.
If your department or entity that your department is partnering with on any type of catalytic development project desires to acquire property through the BLBA, we request that you follow the procedure outlined below:
- Submit project form via email to email@example.com . On that document, please include the following:
- Contact Information
- Name, address, phone number, and email of the individual and/or firm(s). If a firm, the name and title of
the individual authorized to negotiate contract terms and make binding commitments should be included
and identified. If proposers bid as a team, bidder must identify team members as well as the key contact.
- Describe your experience in the development described herein and the
number of years engaged in this type of work. Provide a representative list of current and prior projects.
Provide resumes of developer, general partner, and management agent as applicable.
- Provide sources and uses of Funds, detailed budget and cost breakdowns.
- Project Timeline
- Provide potential project timeline following conveyance.
- Project Narrative
- A written narrative of the project describing the parties involved, financial arrangements, and market
||For each eligible parcel requested
||o Parcel #
- Submit online application for properties at birminghamlandbank.org
- Present to BLBA Board of Directors for approval with the source of funding.
- Execute purchase contract/redevelopment agreement where necessary
- Intergovernmental agreement if funds are expected to be transferred from city account to BLBA account
- Remit deposit amount of anticipated base project cost. (Base $5,000.00 per parcel)
- The BLBA will then commence acquisition of properties for your organization.
- The BLBA will request Tax Deed and commence a quiet title action.
- At closing, remaining costs will be paid by the purchaser.
- Purchaser will receive a Special Warranty Deed
Catalytic Development agreement and deeds will have language in them that ensure that the acquisition and subsequent use aligns with plans agreed upon by the Birmingham Land Bank Authority Board of Directors.